Thursday, September 8, 2011

Maddie's Stationery

Not many people know this about me, but my first job out here in Arizona was as a marketing research contractor for a non-explosives company.  Yes, non-explosives.  I actually remember the whole spiel about the company, but generally it used compact gas expansion to demolish rock where there were high explosive regulations (snooze).   Anyway part of my job duties were to create the information packets, advertising mail outs etc.  I had no background in graphic design whatsoever, but for whatever reason that responsibility landed in my lap and I went with it.  I spent weeks on what I assume would take a professional only hours, but I was damn proud of my work as was everyone else.  The company continued to use my work for months after I left (up until they went bankrupt yikes!!)  It was such a great concept and really could have been successful had it been marketed in the right way.  They had some horrible ideas and no direction, hence why I left!  Anyway,  I'm not going to post any of my work here (although I still have my presentation boards) because it's really boring stuff with a lot of explosive statistics.  (snooze again).  I don't blame you, if you have fallen asleep already!

Basically I'm prefacing the work I did today for Madison's thank you cards.   So I have a little graphic design background working with Adobe CS2 (is what it was at the time, I believe).  But I actually didn't use any of CS4 (which is what I have on my computer) I just used plain old Word to design her thank you's.  I've done a lot of her thank you cards as well as my own in the past, but this one for some reason was the most successful the others were kind of blah.  Mostly because I wasn't using a great quality paper with the right color. 

So without further ado :)


 
A very simple, but what I believe is an elegant stationery for my daughter to write (I really mean I'm going to) all her thank you cards for the baptism gifts from family, when we were in Chicago.  I know that people probably just read the note and think oh what a cute little card, but I really try to make each and every thank you card I send out special.  I'm a dork! Every card I have written so far has been a note from Maddie herself, telling her family in Chicago how much she misses them and thank you so much for all the cool things she got.  (She is one sweet little girl right!?) I think it's important, or at least that's how I was raised.  (Tangent! - I wrote straight from my head so sometimes I go off on tangents haha Mommy Brain!)

The deets:

M is the monogram in Edwardian Script Font

Madison Noelle (Scribble Scrabble - yes done on purpose for anonymity purposes) is all caps in Garamond Font

Each of the above were positioned using simple text boxes

3 lines 2 of which were 9pt in pink and 1 in the middle 2pt in blue, lined up with no spacing

I printed it on cream colored 115# (I think) card stock

They are each 1/4 sheet of paper a perfect little thank you note. 

I love to design invitations, thank you notes and everything in between! :) What fun!  I'm trying to think of what my next project will be!






No comments:

Post a Comment