Wednesday, September 14, 2011

crucial.com

I am an avid picture taker.  I've always been borderline wanting to go "pro", but never really had the guts or the self confidence.  I pretty much think I suck, but I enjoy taking pictures so much...

Anyway I take like a million pictures a minute and my little ol' iMac can't handle the uploads.  Well not that it can't handle the uploads, but I have minimal RAM since my computer is like 4 1/2 years old.  It literally takes like 30 minutes to save 150 high resolution photos to my computer. Ugh.   I have a 2007 20 in. iMac with 1GB RAM and 250GB memory.  Not that much nowadays, back in the day it was like the shiznit!  So after my computer disaster a couple weeks ago I went to the Apple genius bar made sure my computer was functioning properly and the guy Josh I spoke with suggested I upgrade my computer with more RAM!  What a genius, right? I didn't even realize that was something you could do?!

The way he explained it to me is this...ROM is solid memory and RAM is current memory (I think).  But his analogy was pure genius!  ROM is like the parking lot and RAM is like the freeway to get to the parking lot.  So I have 250GB of memory in my parking lot and only 1 GB of memory to have all that information travel to my parking lot, sheesh how does my computer even function?? I have 1 lane for traffic and like a million cars trying to use that one lane.

My solution?? Well I can't really say it was my solution considering Josh is the one who gave me the website and what I should get, but still the solution... to buy more RAM!  So voila crucial.com

I went to the their website downloaded a little scanner thing that scans my computer to see what memory would be best for my system.  Click Click Boom there it is.  I have the option of upgrading to 2 GB, 3GB or 4GB.  I'm like hell yeah 4GB let's so this thing!  So I ordered my 4GB of RAM or whatever for $49.99.  I'm so pummmped to get it in the mail and install it and get my little iMac moooovin'!!

I also purchased LightRoom 3 and I'm hoping my computer can handle all the new stuff and I'm going to start taking like a million more pictures on top of the millions I already take!! Woot Woot

I'll update once I have all the new stuff installed, I know you all are on the edge of your seats in anticipation! o_O



No comments:

Post a Comment