Sunday, May 22, 2011

It's What's for Lunch...

Like I have mentioned in a few of my past posts, I've really been putting a concerted effort into eating healthy and trying to lose the baby weight.  This combined with my recipe from a couple posts back "Lazy Chicken Dinner" creates a couple recipes or moreover mumbo jumbos (because it really doesn't require cooking) that I wanted to share.  The first being my signature salad I eat almost daily for lunch and the second an alternative chicken salad that can be eaten on lettuce wraps or wheat bread.  Both being made from cubed chicken from the "Lazy Chicken Dinner" post, pictured below.
I make this chicken ahead of time (almost a whole bag frozen breasts) cube then refrigerate for easy access :)

Kirsten's Signature Lunch Salad
(Keep in mind this recipe includes vegetables I like I keep around the house, but can literally have anything you could possibly imagine in it!)

Ingredients:
Cubed "Lazy Chicken Dinner" Chicken
Lots of Romaine Lettuce
Spinach Leaves
Broccoli
Carrots
Raisins or Dried Cranberries
Feta Cheese

Salad Dressing:
equal parts Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar
(for individual serving roughly 1/8 cup)
squirt of dijon mustard
squirt of lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
sugar or artificial sweetener of your choice
(to taste, I tend to like my dressings a bit sweeter)
**shake**shake**shake**
voila

Combine all the above ingredients in serving dish and enjoy! :)
When packing mine for lunch I combine all the veg/chicken/cheese etc. in a large container then the salad dressing in a smaller container so as not to get the lettuce all soggy!
I don't have a picture for the following recipe, I haven't actually made it in quite sometime and it just popped in my head while I was cubing the chicken this afternoon.

Healthy (Waldorf-ish) Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
1 cup cubed "Lazy Chicken Dinner" Chicken
1/4 cup sliced grapes
1/4 cup cubed green apples
1/8 cup walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup plain 0% fat Greek Yogurt
2 tbsp mayonnaise
salt & pepper to taste
Bib Lettuce for wrapping

Now I wrote a post a while back, probably almost a year, raving about Greek Yogurt.  There are a ton of varieties out there now even Dannon has jumped on the bandwagon. My favorite being Fage because it's so ultra creamy and delicious.  But the really cool thing about Greek Yogurt is that it takes on the taste of almost anything you add to it.  So for instance you can add a little bit of mayonnaise to it and it tastes like mayo with significantly less calories and fat and much more protein.  Greek Yogurt is a great source of protein.  So for this recipe you have the protein of the chicken and yogurt and the fruits and nuts keep it pretty healthy although grapes tend to be high in sugar at least its natural.  The lettuce wraps keep the carb count down, so you are good to go! :) 

My family is coming over for Memorial Day weekend to swim in the pool and hang out in the backyard so I think I'll throw a couple of these together and maybe take some pics to add to this so you can see what it looks like.  Until then enjoy! <3





No comments:

Post a Comment