Saturday, August 27, 2011

Worst Computer Disaster of All Time!

Roughly 2 months ago I came up with this amazing idea to get an external hard drive to move all my pictures to and open up some space on my iMac.  So I went in search and found myself a Seagate GoFlex 2TB external HD. Yippee...I was so excited to plug that sucker in get it all formatted and ready to go.  And 2TB, what would I do with all that space?  

So over the course of the first couple of hours of getting home I managed to move every single picture I have taken over the course of the past 5 years over to the external HD and delete them off my iMac.  Everything was hunky dory as I was still able to move the images back and forth for editing.  I was in technological heaven. 

And then disaster struck.  Ugh!  I plugged the HD into my computer to work on some images and what happens??  "Your HD is unreadable - please reformat"  WTF!!!  Quickly, I maneuver myself to the disk utilities and attempt to do a repair of the HD.  Error.  Error.  Error. Oh motherf*cker!!  In my non-computer genius head I decide to use the seagate website to troubleshoot to no avail.  I finally lower my head in defeat and  come to the realization that this particular job needs to be outsourced.  I figure I need to get my iMac cleaned up anyway.  I'll bring the whole getup into Geek Squad the next day and get them to fix everything for me.

WRONG!!!

After checking in all my equipment signing a million and two pieces of paper and handing over my life so to speak I leave with an emptiness in the pit of my stomach.  Those pictures consist of both my nieces births and subsequent birthdays.  My very own daughter's birth.  Our rehearsal dinner and wedding pictures.  I mean all the memories I could ever want to hold on to are on those HDs. 

Couting the days...day 4 I call, no answers.  Ugh! 

A week later...seriously a week!?! "Yes we would like to inform you that your external hard drive is not working properly and we cannot get your data recovered at this point.  Also we would like to inform you that you iMac's hard drive has also failed"  Yeah.  So I go in to get a tune up on my computer and I get back a non-functional iMac.  Fabulous! $150 later, I have less than what I went in with.  I could literally, and I mean quite literally, bite someone's head off.  Just jam my teeth into one of those tech's neck and start chompin' away until decapitation occurs. Grr..

But I haven't completely given up.  I am taking my iMac to the Apple store tomorrow to be repaired followed by an attempt at a DIY restoration of data from external HD.  We will see how that goes.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment