Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Scrambled Egg Ice Cream

Yeah....sounds disgusting cause I'm pretty sure it is.

I come from a small Midwestern town in Illinois where they have one of the best "ice cream" hot spots in the country.  And I use those quotations very loosely because it's not at all ice cream, but rather FROZEN CUSTARD!!!  I'm pretty sure this is a Midwest desert because when I lived on the east coast I never really saw it and here in the west coast/desert I never see it, which is really surprising!  But man do I miss me some Ollie's Frozen Custard.  It was just a short bike ride down the nature trail from my house and a few quarters out of my pocket before I was enjoying that smooth, creamy, oh so delicious decadent dessert.

So in remembrance of my childhood cravings I decided to make some homemade ice cream/custard.  I'm pretty sure the main difference between ice cream and custard are the egg yolks.  This recipe called for 8 egg yolks.  I actually make this delicious treat memorial day weekend and it turned out phenomenally. It requires tempering the eggs, which is not exactly an easy task.  I believe my first attempt at this recipe was a successful fluke!

Today I woke up early and started on the custard mixture.  After tempering the egg yolks and adding them to the remaining vanilla flavored warm cream I reduced the heat to med/low (maybe not paying attention to that fact that it was a bit closer to medium) and walked away for only a few minutes before returning to do a quick stir/whisk.  I peered down into my saucepan and what do I see?  Scrambled Eggs....blegh!  One batch totally wasted.  I figure I'll stop by the store pick up some more whipping cream and 1/2 and 1/2 and start over a little later in the afternoon.

My second attempt of the day went similarly...tempered the egg yolks added to the mixture to the creams in the saucepan and then I needed to breastfeed baby Maddie.  So I called the hubster over and instructed him to continue stirring until further instructions.  As I sat down to feed Miss Maddie I must have totally zoned out because 5-10 minutes later I hear from husband from the kitchen, "how long am I supposed to stir this for?" crap crap double crap...I jumped up and take a hopefully glance into the saucepan hoping that the continual stirring has prevented the cooking of the eggs, but no such luck.  Another batch...wasted?!?!

My husband turns to me and said hey why don't you just finish the steps and see how it turns out, either way if its bad it'll still end up in the garbage disposal.  What a great idea.  I pour the mixture into the mixing bowl and place in the fridge for cooling.  A couple of hours I return to see very chunky looking custard.  I whisk the custard thinking oh well let's see how this turns out and to my surprise...it smoothed out and became very thick and custardy!!  So I've put it in the frozen ice cream maker attachment to my kitchen aid stand mixer and we will see...what...happens...   but so far so good! :)

Looking forward to some delicious scrambled egg custard!

No comments:

Post a Comment