Thursday, February 24, 2011

Homemade Baby Food

Curious if homemade baby food is the route to take when starting Maddie on "solids"...

My sister purchased a Beeba Baby Food Maker a couple months ago when Kaia was already eating solids.  I assume because my sister barely used it and because Kaia is now fully eating solids with no baby food anymore that I will inherit this little device:

Beeba Baby Food Maker
(purchased at Williams-Sonoma $149.95)


I've used this a couple of times to make food for Kaia.  I would use already cooked meats with a portion of vegetables of some kind .  You put all the chosen foods into the processor with a certain amount of water and depending on the density of the food you steam for level 1, 2 or 3 (length of time).  Once it beeps at you, you are ready to hit the process button and all the food gets ground up into a mushy baby food substance.  I think I really like this concept and will hopefully use it often when Maddie starts to eat solids.  The storage containers are convenient too.  You dollop the food into these little compartments snap on the lid and pop in the freezer. 

Beeba Food Storage Containers
(Williams-Sonoma $19.95)

I think it would be doubly convenient if they had the capability of all snapping apart separately so that when you are ready for the defrosting process you can just take one container and move it into the fridge and even serve out of the container.  

There is one device that I found online that has some handy little containers, the Baby Bullet, which I didn't even realize existed until I did an online search.  I am a huge fan of the Magic Bullet and will be adding it to my wish list here shortly, but the Baby Bullet is a convenient little device mimicking the capabilities of the Magic Bullet, but miniaturized.  One big negative in my opinion of the baby food maker is that you have to pre-cook your foods before putting them in the blender.  I don't even think the containers are microwavable (which you wouldn't want to do anyway).  So what's the point of spending the $80+S.H. on this device if it does the same exact thing as its Father the Magic Bullet?  The only thing I really like about this device is the individual containers you can use for storage that are BPA free and good to go in terms of babies.  You can kind of see them in the image to the back under the BPA free logo.  They are purchasable separately, but run $24.95 for the freezer storage and the to-go containers (maybe a better deal than the Beeba freezer containers).
Baby Bullet
from the makers of the "Magic Bullet"
4 easy payments of $19.99
 All in all I'm trying to get my research on and will hopefully be a domestic diva in terms of food preparations for my family in the future.  I will be a workin' mama so its gonna be a lot to juggle, but how difficult is it to throw those foods into the little Beeba push a button then process??  Baby food is so simple.  My sister relied heavily on the Plum Organic baby foods which to tell you the truth were delicious (did i seriously taste it?? shh!!) but devastatingly expensive at $1.19 per serving!!! So if i want to avoid sticker shock, but provide good wholesome food for my little one, then homemade is probably the way to go...once the time comes I will update on progress - until then, enjoy some Champagne Before Breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment